Monday, May 24, 2010

The beauty of possibility...

I could never explain it, and he could never understand it - the beauty of possibility that exists all around us everyday. I can never deny that he changed me. He brought into my life a small sense or turmoil, and a reawakened sense of confusion. He brought with him no love, and no sense of comfort. He was never the one, and he could never begin to comprehend the magnitude of the depth of my soul. His eyes don't see as mine do, and his sense of character ran no further than the shallows of his skin. His sense of reason, though logical, can not help him to grasp onto that which he can not see. How then, did this insignificant being, reopen my eyes to that which has been in front of me the whole time.

There is a delicate balance that hangs between what we know and what we can not understand. There is a fine line that separates physical sensation, and the unexplained intuition that we are all born with. The ability to harness that intuition once we have been taught that it is not real is nearly impossible, and I almost lost mine for a while. It lives in that feeling of goosebumps we get down our neck when we can feel some unseen presence in the room. It is that sense of deja vous we get when we just knew something was going to take place. It is that piece of paper that falls at our feet, the door that mysteriously opens, and the split second catastrophe we almost became a part of, but didn't. I guess in many ways, it is opening our eyes to the beauty that coincidences, are rarely ever so...

I had been upset, and I missed someone so dearly with all my heart. I woke up crying 2 weeks ago - not because I was sad, but because I realized that my grandmother would not be able to see me walk at my graduation. I wrote about how I felt as though she had given me a kiss on the cheek one night to make me feel better, but the story went further than I could express. I was sitting in my bed later that night typing up the story about what I had experienced, and suddenly I felt that presence again. It felt so near, I called out and said hello to her. I asked her if she was near. I watched my bedroom door go from completely closed to open itself up about 18 inches and then stop short. I can not explain the magnitude of this gesture. I can't explain the feelings and thoughts that were going through my mind at the time. All I could do right then and there was talk to her - like she had never been gone - as if I had just walked into her living room, sat down and began having the conversation I had been dying to have for almost 3 years... Then I felt her presence start to lift, so I asked that she stay with me for just a few minutes more until I fell asleep. That was where it ended.

My graduation day came and went, and with it, this presence. Since this day, however, I feel like I can't turn these feelings off. They used to be so obvious every day when I was a young girl, but I was overwhelmed and didn't know how to handle them. I tried to stop them for many years out of fear. I am learning to trust my intuition instead of ignoring it. I am reading through the lines in the situations of my life. I am seeing the good intentions of the people around me, even when the execution of them might not go off so smoothly. I feel good about this recent chain of events, and I take comfort in embracing them.

I can not be friends with this individual who set this chain of events in motion. From the minute I laid eyes on him I knew that his role was going to be significant, even thought it was not in the way I expected it to be... I will never tell him of the positive consequences and perspective that his betrayal has had on my life. In time I will forgive him in my own way, but only when the time feels right and I grow tired of being angry with him. In the end, I am a reaffirmed believer in the theory that everything happens for a reason and that we do not necessarily meet them people we want in our lives, but we do meet the people we need. I would not change this for anything.

No comments: